Today’s article on M-commerce: Is your store ready for the Future? is brought to you by Saleeh – Co-founder, CEO at Appmaker.xyz
Let’s welcome Saleeh in our blog, and learn from his invaluable experience!
Talking about the history of M-Commerce let’s start with the vending machines in Finland. vending machines have a direct connection with the official birth of mobile commerce. The launch of M-commerce was back in 1997 in London. M-commerce was first practiced by Coco-Cola and it was to receive payments through SMS.
This mobile phone equipped vending machines were first introduced in the Helsinki area which is in Finland. Followed by these banking services were provided through mobile devices. And, yes that was the beginning of M-commerce.
Once again the M-commerce was validated by Radiolinja in the year 1998 when the ringtone came into existence and this set a milestone in E-commerce marketing. Later on, M-commerce was implemented in various enterprises like Smart money and i-mode internet services in the Philippines and Japan respectively and it doesn’t settle there.
The wide range of usability and accessibility of SMS was not sufficient. By the emerge of iPhones in 2007 has unveiled the new face of M-commerce and this was mobile applications. The M-commerce that we know today has evolved and undergone different changes and all this is made possible by Android and iOS.
Present Mobile Commerce
The thought of unreachable trading systems was just a tale until the rise of E-Commerce. M-commerce has lifted the value of E-commerce one step ahead. The leading industries and public sectors have come forward by providing their products and services by utilizing the M-commerce system.
Ever wondered why M-commerce stands out of the crowd, let’s take a leap into it
- Rapid growth in the mobile devices, and internet usage: We cannot omit this point, it is well understood that the entire M-commerce concept is built on the base of the growth and usage of mobile devices or vice-versa. The study conducted by Statista reports that smartphone users all over the planet are expected to grow by one billion within a time span of 5 years, implying the smartphone users would reach 2.7 billion by 2019. The growth of E-commerce is drawing more of the population to use the internet.
- Flexible and convenient access: Breaking the geographical barriers reaching out the customers has become easier and at the same time, customer satisfaction can be achieved to its full. Users can log in to apps and networking platforms from mobile devices to do online shopping, instant messaging, banking, booking and loads more. A lot among this is made possible by using the native device features. which is the added advantage of M-commerce.
- Dig for datum: User information can be obtained just by adding social login to mobile apps and deeper insights into customers’ interest can be gained by accessing their public profiles. This data can be used in various ways to enhance your E-commerce business. This could be used for target marketing and can be used to send push notifications with content suiting their interest. According to a recent m-Commerce guide by SimiCart, brands are now adopting advanced technologies such as geo-tracking and programmatic advertising to connect with consumers in those moments before a purchase decision, increasing the likelihood that the purchase will be completed.
- Visually appealing: Responsive designs are a factor that can be used to pull in more customers. Commonly mobile sites and mobile apps are designed in such a way to fit in the native device screen size. The contents of an app are made short and easily graspable for the targeted audience.
- Customer Engagement: Mobile apps are better at this task than mobile websites. Apps can run in the background and they can autostart. Engaging users with your app is easily attainable by sending Push notification at certain intervals. If you are running an E-commerce store, you can notify the shoppers by giving attractive offers and discounts. The study conducted by thinkmobiles states that the most feature that about 69%smartphone users value money-saving offers. This can drive more customers into your app.
- Secure browsing: The security breach rate faced by the website is comparatively higher compared to that of mobile applications. Cross-site scripting, SQL injection, denial of service(DoS) are some of the most common attacks faced by an E-commerce website. Mobile apps are a better option to Overcome these security breaches.
What are all these encapsulated services in this word M-commerce? Let’s take a look into it:
- Mobile Shopping:- M-commerce include the major portion of E-commerce. We visit E-commerce websites to do shopping whereas, in the case of M-commerce, you can use mobile sites and apps to do shopping. Leading social media networks like Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp and more like are mostly used by the retailers to do mobile shopping. Engaging more customers in the business is the main highlight of mobile shopping.
- Mobile Banking and mobile payments:- Not so different from online banking, M-commerce have unveiled the better and easiest options to do banking. Popular banks have offered interesting mobile apps making transactions easier. Mobile wallets or mobile This helps you save time and money. Limitless transactions provided by Apple Pay has caused an increase of 11% in the total mobile transactions.
Mobile apps take the major shares of the M-commerce as it has many advantages. Apps are known for its speed. Providing personalized content to the users, hold back the customers from leaving the application. In case if they leave, you can send the push notification with personalized contents or by giving more offers and discount to the shoppers to attract them.
Moreover, cart abandonment can be decreased to a level by providing better checkout options, this could be a trusted third party like PayPal. The native mobile features like camera, GPS etc are efficiently used by some E-commerce apps. People around the world spend 10% of their total time, but a person who uses apps spend an extra 10% within the apps.
This might seem simple, but it ain’t. Before adopting M-commerce, there are certain principles which have to be taken care of.
#1 Learn your market: Over the success stories heard, there are some sobering stats of E-commerce and the main cause is not pausing for discovering the market. Invest time in taking look at the target audience, the requirements, and demands of the consumers to be. This gives you an idea of how much the M-commerce is going to be an impact. M-commerce cannot be applied to all the Online businesses.
At the same time never be discouraged with the thought that your business is not gonna hit the bang. Mobile apps like Underground reptile stores are a great innovation. they sell reptiles in the app. Creating an app was worth for this team as they were able to reach the needy customers. Take the analytics data into consideration and research on the competition level on how it will be after deploying into mobile apps.
#2 Customers expectation: Customers are king, they play the key roles in your business, the feedback, and suggestions of your customers are needed to be considered for filling the missing bricks. Moreover encouraging the users to take in part of the study will make them feel that you value their opinion.
#3 Maintain the consistency: Maintaining consistency of your brand throughout is always necessary. Presenting an entirely different theme and design for your M-commerce business from your websites may be a bang at the beginning time. Retailers like Entebook, Order Cookies and Funky Tradition are great examples(more on E-book) for maintaining such consistency. They kept up the same theme and styles of their E-commerce websites.
Image shown is an App created using Appmaker.xyz for Funkytradition.com, a famous fashion store in India.
But still space for innovation is there, Let’s try it out later. Branding experience will be great along with a consistent design.
#4 Keep it simple: Including Complex codes would drain the speed of a mobile app. As the stepping stones, you can use simpler codes. simplicity is not only an option for codes, it can be used for the contents of an app, make it simpler for the users to capture and learn. It is said that the internet users go through the content in an ‘F pattern’, and this is not good for online users. Containing the appropriate content and design would reduce this.
#5 App creation: Apps are one of the most effective methods to build a successful M-commerce business, to keep up the performance of the app, the API ( Application programming interface) should be good, as the API’s act as a bridge to exchange data with the database. Efficient app building platforms help you built your app without any chaos.
#6 Online testing: At the early stages of your Mcommerce product make sure your product undergoes various online testing, including user testing which helps in increasing conversion rates and to reduce the cost. Additional testing like landing page testing and conversion rate optimizations is also essential as landing page testing mainly focuses on conversions and performance.
Future of M-commerce:
With no doubt, mobile devices are shaping the future of E-commerce. E-commerce giants like Amazon and eBay have shown us remarkable heights of E-commerce and future of E-commerce is even brighter. Rather than just hanging on to E-commerce website, most of them have launched their own mobile apps.
Realizing that mobile apps are driving more user engagement, sales and other added advantage of apps, E-commerce websites are adopting applications for business. As we can see that out of the total online retail transaction 50% of the traffic is driven by the mobile phones. Besides, 41% of the shoppers use mobile applications to compare the price of the products.
Speed and Experience
Providing Fast browsing will be the ultimate success of the online the retailers. The Ovum predicts that by 2026 the shoppers would receive the product that they have been browsing online just after they hit the ‘confirm’ button, that means instant purchasing will be made available. This will provide data like how the shoppers prefer to do shipping.
Argos- an online retailer provide delivery on the same day the order has submitted. Shoppers expect a customized shopping experience, and in coming years AI and mean data analysis will be put into practice and by all terms, this will lead M-Commerce to the next level.
In the coming years, social media recommendation and suggestions would be a powerful tool of M-commerce. Secure payment methods including two-step authentication and bio-metric methods will be included. Furthermore, researches on payment methods will be conducted in the future. just like in the current scenario, the transaction process will be passed on to some third parties to obtain a secure checkout process.
M-commerce open ups great possibilities for online retailers and there will be a massive rise in the revenues. Without dropping the customer experience level and finding possibilities, M-commerce will grow as the center of the E-commerce.
Irrespective of the business sector to which you are, each module of the app should hold a secure connection and in order to enhance the user experience, speed transaction and secured operation need to be deployed.
Mobile Apps are the backbone of M-Commerce and it has become unexceptional for E-commerce business. Building an app maintaining its consistency with the corresponding website is crucial. You can depend on professional app builders such as appmaker.xyz. As they help you build the app without any technical skills. You can create your own app just by uploading an app icon, app name and the URL of your website. And it’s done. Easily you can manage your app without a help of a third party.
We just published a detailed E-book on mastering M-Commerce game. This is a fruit of our 3+ years of expertise in m-commerce and customers from across the globe we served. You can read them for here (Link to E-book)
We feel honoured to have Saleeh’s insights featured in our blog, and we are incredibly thankful for the knowledge he has shared with us.
Author bio here
Saleeh – Co-founder, CEO @Appmaker.xyz, where they help E-commerce businesses grow using mobile apps. He is also Full stack developer with 8+ years of expertise in WooCommerce and WordPress. Started out in College days, now Appmaker serves 400+ clients across the globe.